STUDENTS have been urged to swot-up on gas safety before the start of the academic year.
And Huddersfield University is offering safety sessions to all freshers.
Northern Gas Networks (NGN) says young people living away from home for the first time may be putting themselves at risk through a lack of knowledge about basic gas safety.
NGN, which carries out emergency work for United Utilities, wants students in rented accommodation to know what to do if they smell gas or suspect the presence of carbon monoxide.
They should call the free emergency 0800 111 999 helpline and follow this safety advice:
Do not smoke or light matches;
Do not turn electrical switches on or off;
Open doors and windows to get rid of gas;
Turn off gas at meter unless you need to turn on a light to find it.
United Utilities safety manager Mike Queenan said: “It is your landlord’s responsibility to make sure gas appliances in rented homes are serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Ask to see your landlord’s certificate which proves that appliances in their property are safe.”
A University spokesman said: “All our first year students have advisory sessions that they are asked to come along to.”