HIS death-defying leaps through the jungle made screen character Tarzan a hero in many homes.
And now a dog who bears his name is a hero in his own right after saving his owners from a house fire.
Seventeen-week-old Tarzan, a mongrel RSPCA rescue dog, scratched and banged against the kitchen door when a fire started in the kitchen at his Dalton owner’s home early yesterday.
The noise alerted his owner, Deborah Potts, and her daughter Paris Tully to the fire at Tolson Crescent.
The house is fitted with smoke detectors but they did not work.
Paris, 18, a hairdresser said: “Mum heard Tarzan banging and scratching downstairs. He’s normally very quiet, good as gold, so she went downstairs, let him out of the kitchen and smelled the smoke.
“We’re all a bit shook up, but Tarzan is a hero, a lifesaver. The smoke detectors do work, but didn’t go off for some reason. Tarzan is the best thing ever and he’ll be getting lots of treats now. We got him from the RSPCA in Halifax and we’re so pleased we did.”
Luckily Miss Pott’s five-year-old son, Mason Wilson, was not staying at the house at the time.
Miss Potts suffered slight smoke inhalation.
Firefighters from Huddersfield dealt with the blaze which started around 5.30am.
An electrical fault in an overloaded socket is being blamed for the blaze which badly damaged the kitchen of the semi-detached home.
A spokesman from Huddersfield fire station warned people to check smoke detectors regularly to ensure they were in good working order.