A teenage girl was taken to hospital after a blaze at her home in Lowerhouses.

The girl was cooking when the fire started in the kitchen of the house on Fanny Moor Lane on Tuesday morning.

Two appliances were sent from Huddersfield Fire Station with crews managing to extinguish the small, contained blaze in ten minutes.

Firemen also rescued a small dog from the house.

Crew Commander Lee Burrows said: “This was a domestic fire that started in the kitchen on the hob.

“The young lady was cooking something in a pan and the fire spread.”

The girl, who is in her late teens and was the only person in the property at the time, was treated by first aid staff with oxygen after suffering from smoke inhalation.

READ MORE: WATCH: Fire crews still at scene of huge Bramley fire which could be seen from Holme Moss

Ambulances arrived and she was checked over in hospital, although the inhalation was said to be short and not serious.

Mr Burrows added: “The family are devastated, it was a bit of a shock for them as everything is black and needs a real sponge down.

“The young lady was treated by our excellent first aid team and the efforts by our crew in putting out the fire were commendable.

“We managed to put it out in very quick time.

“We also managed to rescue a small dog from the property.

“He was scared and in need of TLC so he was very happy to see us.”

Damage was caused to the kitchen’s interior, with minor heat and smoke damage to the rest of the downstairs rooms, although no structural damage was caused.