VILLAGERS in Marsden face a third night without gas in sub-zero temperatures tonight.
A total of 2,500 homes in the village were still without gas after a mains leak on Saturday.
Now an army of gas engineers swamped the village to start the mammoth task of carrying out double safety checks on every property.
About 80 engineers have been drafted in from all over the country to try and ensure supplies are re-connected, now that the fractured main has been repaired.
They have to visit every property twice - once to ensure supplies are properly switched off and a second one to ensure supplies are safely reconnected.
Gas officials today stressed: "Safety is our number one priority."
Both Marsden Junior School and Marsden Infant School were shut today following the gas leak on Chain Road.
Both may remain closed tomorrow.
More than 2,000 electric fan heaters and 600 electric hotplates have been distributed to homes without gas.
Gas engineers have repaired the fractured main but now have the mammoth task of visiting close to 2,500 homes to make sure the gas supply is reconnected safely.
The whole job may take up to four days to complete.
John O'Grady, communications director for Northern Gas Networks, said: "Everything we do is driven by the safety of the people in the area.
"It's going to be a slow job and we ask people to be patient."
He added: "There can be no short cuts, no quick fixes.
"It will be a job driven by safety".
Anyone who is concerned should call the gas emergency contact number on 0800 111 999.
People can also find out more details on the situation from an incident team at Marsden Parochial Hall. And members of the Womens Royal Voluntary Service are working at Marsden Mechanics Hall, offering hot meals and drinks to vulnerable people, including the elderly and young children.