Three people had hospital checks after a minor chemical incident in Oakes last night.
A small quantity of chlorine gas caused fumes at the Country Park Foods factory on New Hey Road just after 7pm.
Firefighters with specialist knowledge were called and evacuated and cordoned off the area as a precaution.
Huddersfield fire station crew commander Eddie Beaumont said: “The quantity, we believe, was less than 10litres and was caused when chemicals mixed together caused the fumes.
“There were three people in the room, they were employees of the company and were able to rectify the problem but afterwards they complained of sore eyes so they went to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary for a check-up.
“Chlorine can potentially by very dangerous, but this was a minor incident.”
Huddersfield fire crews were backed up by the Protection Identification Monitoring Vehicle from Dewsbury Fire Station and a specialist chemical and hazardous expert.
Firefighters Beaumont added: “ There was never a risk to anyone beyond the factory, the area was analysed and there were no traces of any chlorine whatsoever afterwards, so it had been dealt with.
“There will be a full investigation by the factory to find out how and why it happened.”
Fire crews were at the scene for two hours.