FIREFIGHTERS have issued an urgent safety plea after three deaths in a week in West Yorkshire.
Sandra Barstow, 59, died in a fire thought to have been caused by a cigarette at her home in Baildon last Wednesday.
On Friday a man in his 40s died in an accidental fire at his home in Morley, Leeds.
Then on Saturday Alison Ewing, 49, was killed in an accidental blaze in Headingley, Leeds.
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service is now urging people to take extra care in the home.
Deputy chief fire officer Steve Beckley said: “Our thoughts and concern remain with the families and friends of those who sadly died in these incidents. The events are a shocking reminder to us of the devastation of fire and smoke in the home.
“I would urge everyone to take just a few moments to consider fire safety in the home.”
He said all householders should have fitted and working smoke alarms and an escape plan in case of fire.
“These simple measures will save lives,” he added.
For more information or to book a free home fire safety check, which involves practical advice and the fitting of free smoke alarms, visit www.safer life.co.uk.
To book a free home fire safety check call freephone 0800 5874536.