HEALTH chiefs have insisted prescription procedures across all services are safe.
Kirklees Primary Care Trust, which provides healthcare across Kirklees, yesterday offered patients reassurance following the inquest of a pensioner who died after receiving inappropriate prescriptions from her GP.
Doreen Froste, 72, of Birkby Lodge Road, died in March 2004, partially from poisoning by Methotrexate prescribed for her severe arthritis.
At an inquest earlier this week, coroner Paul Marks said the prescriptions by Dr Manohar Singh, of Birkby Health Centre, Norwood Road, had been a “concatenation of errors” and a “serious breakdown of the safeguard for correct prescribing”.
But Neill McDonald, head of medicines management at Kirklees Primary Care Trust (PCT), yesterday insisted strong prescription procedures were in place. Mr McDonald said: “We extend our deepest condolences to the family of Mrs Doreen Froste.
“The PCT would like to reassure patients that there are robust protocols and processes in place for dispensing disease modifying agents such as Methotrexate and other drugs.
“Local GPs and community pharmacists follow strict National Patient Safety Agency’s (NPSA) guidance on how Methotrexate is prescribed, supplied and monitored.
“This is also assessed through the ‘shared care’ protocol the PCT has in place with Acute Trust partners which enables healthcare professionals to see what medicines are being prescribed, monitor bloods as well as the management of any adverse reactions.
“The PCT will be looking into the outcome of the coroner’s report into Mrs Froste’s death and using it to reiterate the guidance on prescribing Methotrexate to all GPs and pharmacists.”