A toddler accidentally strangled himself with a blind cord in a freak accident while playing in his Huddersfield home.
Three-year-old Mohammed Javaid, known as Haseeb, was found hanged by the cord from a Venetian blind by his mum Saima Bi on November 13 last year, an inquest heard.
Saima, 29, had gone into the adjoining kitchen at their Dalton home and returned to the room to find him upright on a sofa in front of the blind with his eyes closed and head slightly to one side.
She rushed over to him and quickly pulled the cord off before carrying him outside, where she began screaming for help.
But despite the best efforts of passers by in Ridgeway, paramedics and Huddersfield Royal Infirmary staff to resuscitate him, he died at Leeds General Infirmary three days later.
In a written statement given to the court, Saima said: “I only left him for five minutes on another sofa, while his sister was sat in her wheelchair, to make their packed lunches.
“I came back in with his breakfast and called to him but he didn’t respond. I went over to him and noticed the cord around his neck, which was loose and not twisted.
“He had marks on the front of his neck and a blue lump on the left side of his forehead.
“I removed the cord and carried him outside.
“I normally roll up the blinds every morning but couldn’t remember if I had them up or not.”
Two women came to his aid, rang 999 and carried out CPR under instruction until paramedics arrived.
The team was unable to find a pulse or resuscitate Haseeb at the scene and rushed him to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary where a team managed to resuscitate him.
However, he had to be placed on a ventilator and was transferred to the paediatric intensive care ward at Leeds General Infirmary.
Santosh Sundararajan, a consultant physician, said “despite best efforts” Haseeb remained unresponsive and had suffered a significant brain injury.
His condition deteriorated and he died on November 16 following his family’s request to stop breathing and circulation support.
Assistant coroner Mary Burke ruled that Haseeb’s death was due to a hypoxic brain injury caused by asphyxia.
She said: “There are no suspicious circumstances. This was a tragic incident that no one could have foreseen occurring.
“It was likely he was playing and put the cord around his neck but lost his footing.
“He wouldn’t have realised the danger of his playfulness.”
Following the verdict, his dad Javaid Iqbal, 38, read out a poem in his memory.
He said: “A daily thought, a silent tear, a constant wish that you were here.
"Loved and missed by all.”