THE family of a dad-of-two who died after clambering into a chemical reactor have paid tribute to a man who "will be missed by all".
The inquest into the death of Nicholas Shone, 35, from Marsden, ended after four days at Bradford Coroner's Court on Thursday.
A jury of five men and five women who had sat through the hearing took a little more than 90 minutes to record a verdict of misadventure on Mr Shone's death.
During the inquest, heard in front of coroner Roger Whittaker, the jury had been told how in the early hours of Friday, October 8, 2004 Mr Shone, from Woods Avenue, had climbed into a tank at Grosvenor Chemicals in Linthwaite to retrieve a length of piping.
The tank, which was used for mixing chemicals for use in the pharmaceutical industry, had been emptied using nitrogen gas and contained low levels, if any, of oxygen.
He collapsed just seconds after entering the tank and never regained consciousness.
Speaking after the inquest Mr Shone's wife Andrea said: "I would like to thank the jury for the verdict but at the end of the day nothing will change the fact that my children have been left without their father.
"I would also like to thank everyone who was involved in the rescue of my husband."
She said her husband worked hard to provide for the couple's two children Bethany and John.
She added: "In doing so this cost him his life.
"I hope his last thoughts were of Bethany and John as he was the proudest man on earth the days they were born."
Mrs Shone said she believed all companies should now inform their workers on the dangers of nitrogen.
She added: "If one person hears this and prevents a death Nick did not die in vain.
"It does not feel right that my children have been robbed of their father and his mum and dad no longer have their special son.
"His friends will never see him and he will be missed by all who knew him."
She also thanked the emergency services for their efforts to rescue her husband on the night of his death.
In the inquest, the foreman of the jury said they believe Mr Shone had died in the reactor from a lack of oxygen.
The coroner thanked them for their deliberations and said there were two areas of potential comfort in the grief felt by both Mr Shone's family, colleagues and employer.
In his closing speech he referred to evidence given by a Health and Safety scientist, Dr Nicholas Vaughan, who said Mr Shone would have passed out very quickly.
The coroner said: "Firstly, according to the expert Dr Vaughan, Nicholas would not have experienced that normal sense of asphyxia symptoms caused by the excess accumulation of carbon dioxide and would have simply collapsed without anticipation of his death.
"It would, in my view, have been plainless."
Mr Whittaker also said if Mr Shone had followed a permit system - a checklist carried out before entering small spaces - he may well have still been alive.
He said: "There must be some comfort for those who devised the permit system for confined space entry that if Nicholas had followed the rules they would have protected him and that the over riding of the rules by a long-standing employee was totally out of character and therefore was not and could not have been anticipated.
"No one, least of all Nicholas Shone, had ever flouted the rules before in the context of this particular tragedy.
"It could not have been foreseen or prevented."