FLORAL tributes have been left at the home of an Elland woman who died in a fire over the weekend.
Carol Arthur, 50, was killed in a chip- pan blaze at her house at Westgate on Friday night.
A distraught female relative discovered her body on Saturday morning.
Mrs Arthur's family and the wider community have been struggling to come to terms with the shocking news.
Mrs Arthur was the former landlady of the Church Tavern in Elland and had more recently been working in an off-licence just yards from her home.
Divorced, she had one daughter, Anne-Marie, who is 23 and studying at university.
Mrs Arthur's nephew Lee Bassinder said his aunt was well-known around Elland and had lived in the town all her life.
Mr Bassinder, a father-of-five, said all his relatives were deeply upset.
"The family are still shaken up. They think it's just one big nightmare."
He added: "It's something you just don't believe. You think it won't happen to your family."
He said everyone was still trying to piece together what happened, with help from police and the fire brigade.
Mrs Arthur's home was discovered full of smoke by a visiting relative. The family said an unattended chip-pan in her kitchen had apparently burned dry.
Mr Bassinder said: "She must have been dead for hours. There was nothing anybody could have done.
"The fire department were there within minutes, literally two minutes."
He urged everyone to make their homes safe with smoke alarms - and ensure they were working properly. "It's better safe than sorry for the sake of £4."
His home, which he shares with his wife Michelle and young children, overlooks that of his aunt.
"She was having problems and we moved here to keep an eye on her," said Mr Bassinder.