AN eight-year-old girl died after an epileptic fit which could have been triggered by swine flu, an inquest heard today.
Asmaa Hussain, from Dewsbury, died on July 2 after she choked on her own vomit during the fit at her home.
An inquest at Bradford Coroner’s Court today heard Asmaa was suffering from swine flu at the time but the illness alone would not have caused her death.
At the time of her death, health officials said Asmaa had "underlying health issues" and her family confirmed she suffered from epilepsy and had died following a fit.
The inquest heard Asmaa fell ill and was prescribed the anti-viral Tamiflu after vomiting and developing a cough and a temperature.
Another pupil at her school had tested positive for swine flu and all of Asmaa’s family appeared to have symptoms.
On the day of her death, the young girl’s mother found her having a fit on a sofa and she was taken to hospital, where she later died.
A post-mortem examination showed she was suffering from swine flu and a bacterial infection.
Recording a verdict of natural causes, coroner Roger Whittaker said Asmaa died from inhaling gastric content during the epileptic fit.
He said the swine flu infection may have triggered the fit but would not have caused her death.
More in Wednesday's Examiner.