A MAN'S home was badly damaged when his TV caught fire.
The man in his 60s was out when the TV set caught fire at the semi-detached house on North Cross Road in Cowcliffe on Saturday night.
Firefighters believe it had been burning for up to an hour before the man discovered it when he returned home at 10.40pm. Watch Manager Tony Bateman from Huddersfield fire station said: “As soon as he opened the door the smoke poured out, so he shut it again and called us.’’
Firefighters in breathing apparatus using heat-seeking thermal imaging cameras pinpointed the fire through all the smoke and quickly doused the flames.
The blaze had spread from the TV set to the floor and burned through the floorboards.
All the doors were open so the thick, black, acrid smoke seeped throughout the house.
Watch Manager Bateman added: “The house had no smoke detectors. If it had, then neighbours or passersby may have been alerted and we could have been called out sooner.
“The TV set had been left on standby. We always advise that the set is switched off at the mains so there is no power running through it.”
Firefighters do free home safety checks and fit smoke detectors for free.
To arrange one call the fire service for free on 0800 587 4536.