A COUPLE were lucky to wake up after a TV set caught fire in their bedroom.
The pair, in their 20s, had only recently moved into the house on Station Road in Fenay Bridge and did not realise there were no batteries in the smoke detectors.
They woke at 3.20am today to find the TV burning and quickly unplugged it before throwing water on the set to put out the flames.
The fire was out by the time firefighters arrived.
The couple had suffered from the effects of breathing in smoke and were given oxygen by firefighters.
The bedroom was badly smoke-damaged.
Watch manager Tony Bateman, of Huddersfield Fire Station, said: "We would urge people who move into rented accommodation to always check if there are batteries in the smoke detectors. It was lucky the couple woke."
He advised people not to leave TVs on standby. They should be switched off at the socket.