A man tried to tackle a bedroom fire with his garden hose.
But he was forced to call 999 as the blaze got out of control.
Retained firefighters from Slaithwaite were joined by a Huddersfield crew at the fire at a terraced home on Radcliffe Road, Slaithwaite.
It is thought the fire began after halogen lamps inside an airing cupboard set fire to some towels at about 9.25pm on Sunday.
Slaithwaite station’s Watch Commander, Matthew Green, said: “The occupant, a man in his 40s, has tried to fight the fire himself for about 15 minutes on his own.
“No one was trapped, his family was out, but there was smoke pouring out the first floor window when we arrived.
“It took us about an hour to get it under control, it was quite a big fire.”
WC Green said people should ring 999 first if they had a fire and urged everyone to get smoke alarms fitted.
He added: “Unfortunately they had no smoke alarms but luckily they were awake and smelled the smoke.
“If they’d have had smoke alarms it could have been spotted much earlier.”
Want to read, watch and hear more? You can download the FREE Examiner Apple App here, the FREE Examiner Android App here or you can view the paper as an e-edition on your Apple, Android or Kindle device by clicking here
To follow us on Twitter click here