A NURSING sister with a history of self-harm and depression died in a tragic accident, an inquest heard yesterday.
Kirklees Coroner Roger Whittaker said Deborah Anne Macleod's overdose of tablets and alcohol had been a cry for help rather than a deliberate attempt at suicide.
He recorded a verdict of accidental death.
Mrs Macleod, 33, of Field End Lane, Holmbridge, was found asleep on the sofa by her husband Neil early on Wednesday, February 8, after he returned home from a late shift at work.
He told the Huddersfield inquest he had rung his wife earlier in the evening to say he would be home around 1am.
But work commitments had prevented him from returning until about 3.30am.
He noticed several empty packets of tablets at the side of the sofa and he could not rouse his wife.
He drove her to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary. She was later transferred to the Calderdale Royal Hospital in Halifax because of bed shortages.
Mr Macleod said he was told his wife had developed an infection because she had inhaled food while on the sofa.
Three days later he was told his wife's condition in the intensive care unit had become critical overnight.
He was called later the same day to be told she had died.
A post-mortem revealed that Mrs Macleod died from bronchial pneumonia after consuming excessive amounts of different tablets with alcohol.
A report from the South West Yorkshire Mental Health Trust said Mrs Macleod had a long history of depression and self-harm.
She had had several types of treatment, which had all failed to improve her condition for a significant period.