A WOMAN with a history of mental illness died after taking an overdose of an anti-psychotic drug, an inquest heard.
Chinese-born Chang Qian, 34, of College Street, Crosland Moor, could not remember taking the pills.
The Huddersfield hearing was told how Mrs Qian began hallucinating in 2009 and had a five-month stay in St Luke’s Hospital.
Tablets controlled her condition but she lost her job in January 2011 and sank into a depression.
She stopped taking her medication and refused to co-operate with mental health teams.
Her family became concerned and she was found in a distressed condition.
She collapsed and was taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.
It was believed she had taken 28 of her prescribed Quetiapine tablets, which made her heart rate quicken.
Mrs Qian was sedated and given drugs to slow her heartbeat.
She spent three days in hospital but died of pneumonia on March 1 this year.
Consultant pathologist Dr Richard Knights, who carried out a post mortem examination, said the pneumonia could have developed very rapidly.
Sedation meant that patients were less able to clear their lungs and infection could set in.
Mrs Qian refused to co-operate with medical staff in hospital but three doctors who saw her all said her chest was clear.
Relatives said Mrs Qian told them she had no memory of taking the pills and did not intend to take her own life.
Acting coroner Prof Paul Marks, recording a verdict of accidental death, said the pneumonia had developed rapidly and caused her death.
He said the hospital’s treatment “conformed to acceptable standards.”