A woman had to be rescued by fire crews after she fell asleep upstairs leaving a pan on the hob last night.
Neighbours raised the alarm after they saw black smoke billowing out of the kitchen of the first-floor flat in Riddings Road, Sheepridge.
Fire crews from Huddersfield were called at 6.45pm yesterday and found the kitchen fully alight.
They were informed the woman and her dog were inside and located her and carried her out of the building where she was treated for smoke inhalation.
She refused to go to hospital. Her dog was also rescued from the building.
The blaze completely destroyed the inside of the flat's kitchen.