A WOMAN had to be rescued from her smoke-filled flat after falling asleep with her cooker on.
The woman, in her 20s, had been on a night out before getting back to her second floor flat on The Park in Kirkburton in the early hours of Saturday.
She put some food in her oven before dropping off on the settee.
Firefighters from Huddersfield and Skelmanthorpe were called at 2.10am after a neighbour heard the smoke alarm going off.
They had to break down the entrance to the block of flats, then smash down the door to the woman’s flat to pull her out.
She was unconscious and needed oxygen treatment before being taken by ambulance to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.
The flat was heavily smoke damaged.
Huddersfield fire station watch manager Darren Bagley said: “It’s not very advisable for members of the public to come home from a night out and start cooking.”
He asked residents of blocks of flats who called the fire service to meet firefighters at the entrance to their residences to make it easier to locate the source of fires.