A NURSE and a policeman saved two elderly women from a burning house.
The electricity meter caught fire at the house on Smith House Lane in Lightcliffe at 8.40am yesterday, fracturing the gas mains.
The woman in her 80s living there rushed to a neighbour’s home.
Both returned to the bungalow to try to move items that were catching fire, including an ironing board.
But passing community nurse Cheryl Walker and an off-duty policeman who lives nearby saw the smoke and rushed to help.
They led the women to safety and stopped them from going back in.
Watch Manager Mick Holbrook, from Brighouse fire station, said: “When we arrived the smoke was thick, black and toxic and had devastated the kitchen.
“The rescuers did a great job. If the women had stayed in there any longer they would have been overcome.’’
Both women had breathed in smoke, but were not badly hurt.