MARSDEN have lost their appeal to have points reinstated from a rain-hit controversial Drakes League match.

The Colne Valley club – who also had skipper Matt Butters banned for six matches – argued their Premiership clash with Skelmanthorpe at Lidgett Lane on the second Saturday of the season was abandoned and both clubs should get two points.

Drakes executive members ruled in the aftermath of the game – and after studying reports from the umpires – that Skelmanthorpe should be awarded the win and six points because Marsden had not made sufficient effort to get it completed.

Marsden committee member Neil Daniel told club representatives at the league’s monthly meeting that the Hemplow team and officials felt it was wrong they should receive no points.

He said the match was abandoned and the club felt the umpires and the executive had acted outside their jurisdiction by awarding six points to Skelmanthorpe rather than two to each club.

It was also pointed out the rolling of the wicket in mid-innings, following a rain break and in an effort to dry it out, was against the laws of cricket – another reason why they felt the game should be considered abandoned.

League chairman Roger France said the umpires had reported Marsden made “little effort” to play the game in a proper manner, constantly debating the state of the ground when the umpires – who are in sole control of the fixture – had deemed it was fit.

Marsden had protested at the time that it was not safe for their bowlers and fielders.

Clubs were asked to vote on the issue and only three backed Marsden, 20 the executive’s decision and there were seven abstentions.

There was further bad news for Marsden as skipper Butters was banned for six matches – four for showing gross dissent as captain over an umpire’s decision, bringing the game into disrepute, and two for using foul and abusive language to the disciplinary committee.

Delph & Dobcross all-rounder Arron Lilley was suspended for three matches (completed last weekend) for using foul and abusive language while the Kirkburton trio of David Greaves, George Smith and Richard Kettlewell received a warning over their actions towards an umpire at the end of a game.