Origins: They were the precursor club of Almondbury Wesleyan CC and played in the Sheepridge & District League during the early years of the 20th century.
Ground/s: Kaye Lane, Almondbury.
Leagues: Sheepridge League.
Club History: In 1909, the club played fixtures against Rastrick, Cowcliffe Church, Brighouse Park Church, Hillhouse UMC, Skelmanthorpe Primitives and Huddersfield Mission.Today, Almondbury Wesleyan CC – the successor club to Almondbury Zion CC – still has significant church links. Keith Crawshaw, club secretary, is happy to explain: ‘Cricketers from opposing teams are always interested in the club's Methodist links. In the early days there was a strong connection between the club and the local Wesleyan church. Most of the cricket team were regular attendees – in fact, they were actually obliged to go to church a certain number of times each month.‘The situation is different now, with only a few club members still having links with the church. But that said, we're very proud of the connection and we're pleased that the minister at the church still holds the position of club president.’He goes on: 'Today, we see ourselves as a community club – indeed, being involved with the Lottery meant we had an obligation to expand our profile in the local area. We've got a good junior set-up and it's a very friendly organisation.'
Key People: The club had a president, patrons, management committee, selection committee, honorary secretary, 1st XI captain, 2nd XI captain, league representatives and umpires. The patrons comprised J.A.Brooke Esq. M.A., J.P., Councillor C.E.W. Hallas, Dr. Draper, Dr. Maffin, Councillor C.F. Sykes, Messrs Edward Jepson, A. Parr, S. Harper, J. Stansfield, B. Tunnicliffe, B. Smith, J. Lockwood, G.W. Mallinson, A. Mallinson, A. Beaumont, R.B. Harper and W.H. Harper. These names and titles suggest the club’s patrons came from a high social set.
Top Trivia: Subscriptions were due on June 30 each year.
Folded: Succeeded by Almondbury Wesleyan CC in 1920.