FOLLOWING the very successful inaugural Examiner Twenty/20 tournament this summer, Drakes League clubs now look set to extend the competition next year.
This season it was run as a straightforward knockout event (eventually won by Scholes who defeated Honley in the final), but following a vote taken by members at last night’s League council meeting, there was a majority in favour of expanding next year’s tournament to a regional league format, in which each club would get a minimum of four games, spread out over a five-week period.
The final decision will be made by the Executive, but if the League format does find favour, it would start on June 3.
If it does come to fruition then the hope must be that more teams will investigate the possibility of buying coloured clothing (as used this year by just Holmfirth and Clayton West) with clubs safe in the knowledge they will be used on more than one occasion.
Finance secretary Trevor Atkinson reported that all outstanding fines had been paid, but match secretary Yvonne Collins then handed out more than £300 in fresh penalties to clubs failing to comply with the three-hour bowling rule and for failure to submit result sheets on time.
On the disciplinary front, League chairman Roger France said that following a meeting last month, Shepley second team skipper Steve Fitton had been suspended for two games following a disturbance during the Second XI match against Barkisland.
Executive secretary Paul Whiteley explained the Home Office are again changing the entry qualifications for professional cricketers next season and told members there will be a meeting on November 7 to outline the changes.