Related content

JORDAN RHODES enjoyed his return to Dunfermline as Town won 2-1in the heavy Fife rain.

The 21-year-old marksman, who spent his early schooldays in the town while his dad Andy was the keeper at East End Park, notched both goals as his side came from behind to make it four wins from four senior friendlies.

Town handed a debut to right-back Calum Woods, who moved South this close-season after five years at Dunfermline.

And Gary Roberts also made the starting side despite a hamstring niggle restricting him to the briefest of outings at Hamilton on Sunday.

The game was the first to be played on a pitch re-laid in the wake of the Pars’ promotion to the Scottish Premier League.

It started at a brisk tempo, with home striker Steven McDougall testing keeper Ian Bennett, who was playing for the first time this pre-season, with a low shot 90 seconds in.

Town responded with Danny Ward swinging in a teasing cross towards Lee Novak, only for centre-back Kevin Rutkiewicz to clear.

Then Rhodes wrong-footed the Pars defence to latch onto Oscar Gobern’s pass and thump in a shot which Paul Gallacher parried to safety.

Worryingly for Town, Peter Clarke came off feeling his back after 10 minutes, handing the captain’s armband to replacement Antony Kay.

Rhodes came close again five minutes later, meeting Roberts’ cross with a glancing header which went just wide.

But Dunfermline went ahead in the 20th minute through McDougall, who side-footed home from right-back Jason Thomson’s cross.

The goal was against the run of play, and as the rain poured down, Town continued to push forward. The equaliser came in the 39th minute, when Rhodes met Ward’s lay-off with a slick 22-yard shot which gave Gallacher no chance.

And Town’s top scorer for the last two seasons put his side ahead three minutes later, curling a Roberts pass home from just inside the box.

Ward then came close a minute before the break with a fizzing 30-yard shot which the home keeper did well to tip over.

McDougall was the main man for the Pars, and with the rain heavier than ever, the striker tested Bennett with a fierce shot three minutes into the second half.

Woods was replaced by Jack Hunt after 53 minutes, and given a rousing round of applause by the home fans who appreciated the part he played in last season’s Scottish First Division title success. The same supporters were berating defender Kevin Rutkiewicz when his loose 59th-minute backpass let in Lee Novak, only for the Town man to shoot over.

Dunfermline: Gallacher, J Thomson, McCann (Boyle, 72mins), Mason (Potter, 77), Rutkiewicz, Keddie (Dowie, 77), Burns (Cardle, 57), Hardie (Buchanan, 72), Graham (Barrowman, 57), McDougall (R Thomson, 72), Kirk (Willis, 57).

Town: Bennett, Woods (Hunt, 53mins), Naysmith, P Clarke (Kay, 10), McCombe, Ward (McDermott, 64), Miller, Gobern, Roberts, Rhodes (Lee, 72), Novak (Cadamarteri, 72).

Referee: George Salmond.

Att: 1,164.