SHELLEY are on course for a double ‘double’.

Both their teams have already claimed their divisional titles and now, both have won through to their League cup finals.

The firsts faced Savile Town in the semi-final of the Groom Cup and, in the first half, Shelley were unable to capitalise on their chances until just before the break, when Andy Farrell headed home a long throw.

Five minutes into the second half, a long ball was chased by Farrell and he just beat the keeper to it and headed over him.

The lead was extended in the 67th-minute when Shelley’s Ryan Wilcocks converted a penalty and, when Farrell completed his hat trick, the match was as good as over, although Yousef Akudi grabbed a consolation goal when he stroked home from 18 yards.

Shelley Reserves, winners of Reserve Division III, faced Britannia Sports A, the leaders of Division IV in their Gee Cup semi-final.

Shelley always had the edge, although they did suffer some anxious moments late on in the match.

Goals from Chris Allen and Chris Patterson gave Shelley a comfortable 2-0 lead and the game was as good as won until 15 minutes from time.

A Rathmell goal for Britannia raised their expectations and, in the last 10 minutes, they threw everything at Shelley but couldn’t force an equaliser.

Another side looking to complete a double are Diggle Res.

Two league wins in the last seven days have given them a four-point cushion at the top of Reserve Division I and they have games in hand of their nearest challengers.

It would be a fourth time in successive seasons if they clinch the title – a feat bettered only by Brackenhall Utd Res, who won this division five times between 1986 and 1990.

Diggle reached the final of the Richardson Cup by beating Berry Brow Res, but the 4-0 scoreline does not do justice to the performance of the young Brow side.

The Brow could have taken the lead in the 18th minute, but Oakes shot over from 15 yards when facing an empty net.

Diggle took the lead in 38th minute when Leland Mayall converted a penalty. At the break and only one down, Brow were still in the game, but a spectacular volley from Matthew P Taylor made it 2-0.

The score remained the same until the last five minutes when goals from Ryan Fitton and Richard Devy gave the outcome a somewhat misleading edge.

There have been plenty of matches in Division II which have had an effect on both the championship and promotion.

Netherton and Berry Brow have been favourites for most of the season, but have been looking over their shoulders at Lamb Inn and, more recently, Skelmanthorpe.

Lamb Inn’s challenge has died in the space of seven days without them losing a game. But three draws against Scholes, Honley and the Brow leave them relying heavily on a dramatic loss of form from the top two.

Skelmanthorpe won one and drew one of their first six games and that looked like relegation form, but a few new signings resulted in a run of nine successive wins. This was halted when they lost 3-2 to Netherton.

Berry Brow are still top and need just two points from their last three games to earn a spot in the top division, despite having a poor week. Their two games resulted in just a single point which hands the initiative back to Netherton.

Having asked the question whether Netherton were suffering a hangover from their Barlow cup semi-final victory, they answered with a “positively not.”

Since their 4-4 draw against Scissett, they have recorded three wins in eight days – 2-1 over Kirkheaton, 3-0 against Slaithwaite and, by far the best, a 3-2 victory to end Skelmanthorpe’s run.

Netherton need seven points from seven games to clinch promotion, but with them being only five points behind Brow with four games in hand, they are again favourites for Division II title