ANDREW MORRIS turned in a man of the match performance to help Division III leaders Holme Valley Academicals defeat second-placed Honley in the District League.

It was an example of possession not yielding a win.

Honley normally play on a bigger field but when they travelled (for their first away League game of the season), they still took their controlled passing game with them.

They dominated possession for the bulk of the match and it was the Accies defence, particularly Morris, who won the points.

It was no surprise when Honley took the lead after 20 minutes with a goal from Willetts. Matthew Clee then equalised in the 35th minute when his free-kick went in off a post.

After the break, the pattern of play continued as Honley laid siege on the Accies goal, but they could not pass the stubborn defence.

Worse was to come for Honley as Liam Clarke scored for the home team with their only chance of the second half.

The Accies are now seven points clear at the top although Honley have two games in hand but Scissett, KKS and Linthwaite still have chances.

If the Cup matches didn’t bring any surprises, then some League games certainly did.

Division IV newcomers FC Lockwood had amassed just a single point from their season and when they visited second from top Brighouse OB optimism must have been in short supply, but they returned home with a 2-2 draw.

There were also a few ‘firsts’ last week.

In Reserve Division II, AFC Waterloo Reserves registered their first point of the season in a 2-2 draw with Slaithwaite United Reserves.

In this division, the clubs at the top faced each other.

Meltham Athletic A had beaten Uppermill A 4-2 when they met seven days earlier in the Richardson Cup but the result was reversed last week with the Uppermill side winning by the odd goal in three.

There is only a point between them at the top with Meltham having played one game more. But it’s not just about these two.

Netherton A have moved into fourth after beating third-placed Shelley Reserves and are now only two points off the top.

Another first was Cumberworth B who collected their first point in a 4-4 draw with Westend A in Reserve Division IV.

The final first was in the only game in Division I, when bottom club Shepley beat fourth-placed Netherton 4-3. This was Shepley’s first League win and moves them up two places above both Moldgreen and Diggle.