WHAT a way to spend your 34th birthday.

Eight hours driving on Britain's (not very) open roads on a Bank Holiday to see a poor Town performance which did little to suggest Jacko's men have the stomach for the fight.

For once Town had a decent referee, who even reduced the home side to 10 men for the best part of an hour.

But when it was the Terriers' turn to have the numerical advantage, we just didn't have the guile to beat Jan Molby's committed side.

When we did put one good ball into the box we scored, and should have grabbed an equaliser late on through Danny Schofield.

What concerned me most were the nervy displays from some of Town's youngsters.

Jon Worthington was guilty of squandering possession on a number of occasions in the first half while David Mirfin's distribution from the back was poor.

Not for the first time Andrew Holdsworth's crossing was not up to scratch either.

Up front Pawel Abbott was lively in the first half but, like the whole team, he was off the pace after Kidderminster grabbed a second.

Andy Booth was well policed by Abdou Sall, who time and time again beat him in the air.

Gary Harkins had little impact after coming on at the start of the second half. On this evidence, he won't be troubling Graeme Souness's first team, even if Blackburn are in the First Division next season.

Harkins may feature on Saturday with Schofield playing up front due to the suspension of both Booth and Abbott.

But it wouldn't surprise me if Rob Edwards makes the starting XI.

John McAliskey showed some promising touches and this run-out will do him no harm with a view to him starting against Scunthorpe.

Yet again, with the exception of Torquay, the results went for us yesterday.

With Torquay facing Doncaster at home on Saturday, the Scunthorpe match is huge.

If we don't do the business, I fear automatic promotion will be a gonner and I'm not sure we've got the nerve to win the play-offs.

Let's hope Doncaster want to clinch the title and don't ease up!