HUDDERSFIELD Town have a proud heritage stretching back to the club's formation in 1908.

As well as winning the top division three times in a row in seasons 1923/24, 1924/25 and 1925/6 the club appeared in a number of FA Cup finals during the 1920s and 1930s with the club's only victory coming in 1922.

Click below to view some amazing archive images from Huddersfield Town's FA Cup finals

Related content

As part of creating an online picture resource the Daily Mirror, which first began printing pictures in 1910, discovered the pictures accessible via the link above, showing a variety of shots from some of the FA Cup finals during the 1920s and 1930s.

Here's a run down of Huddersfield Town's FA Cup final appearances


Town reached their first FA Cup final 12 years after their formation and less than 12 months after almost going out of existence. Fans rallied to save the cash-strapped club from absorption by the newly-formed Leeds United. The team responded by winning promotion to the top flight and reaching the cup final, where they faced five-times winners Aston Villa in front of 50,018 at Stamford Bridge. The star-studded Birmingham side needed extra time to see off battling Town 1-0.

1922: Town returned to Stamford Bridge to clinch their only FA Cup triumph to date at the expense of Preston North End. In the last pre-Wembley era final, seen by 53,710, left winger Billy Smith sealed a 1-0 victory from the penalty spot after being fouled by Tom Hamilton. Preston players hotly disputed the 67th-minute spot-kick decision and newsreel film later showed the offence had taken place a yard outside the penalty area. Back in Huddersfield, the first people heard of the result was via an announcement from the balcony of the Examiner's original offices in Ramsden Street.

1928: Town made their first appearance at Wembley, but lost 3-1 to Blackburn Rovers. This time, 92,041 watched the match, and many were still entering the stadium when the Lancashire side went ahead in the first minute. Town keeper Willie Mercer was the victim of a thumping shoulder charge as he collected a high cross and when he spilled the ball, it was touched home from close range. The Yorkshiremen were chasing the game from then on, and although Alex Jackson provided some hope when he reduced Rovers' lead to 2-1, Blackburn were comfortable winners.

1930: Town were reunited with Herbert Chapman, the manager who built their triple-title winning side, as they went down 2-0 to Arsenal. The Wembley showpiece which drew an attendance of 92,488 was termed the Graf Zeppelin Final after Germany's giant airship flew over the stadium as the game was going on. That was a distraction for players and spectators alike, but Town had no real excuses for their defeat, because they were well below par .

1938: Preston gained revenge for their 1922 defeat by Town as they won 1-0 in the first Wembley final to be decided by a penalty. Centre-half and captain Alf Young was outstanding as Town belied their lowly league position by taking North End to extra time. But with a replay looming, there was misery for the white-rose supporters in a 93,357 crowd when Young was ruled to have tripped George Mutch, who converted the penalty off the underside of the bar. In the first final broadcast live on television in its entirety, the Preston team included future Town managers Billy Shankly and Andy Beattie.

Click below to view some amazing archive images from Huddersfield Town's FA Cup finals

Related content