A TIM OLDFIELD double fired Heywood Irish Centre into the quarter-finals of the Junior Challenge Cup with a 2-1 victory against Westend.

Extra-time was looming when Anthony Collins robbed Dean Knox in midfield and slotted the ball into the path of Oldfield who smashed it into the top corner.

The tie had been closely contested between mid-table Reserve Division I side Heywood Irish Centre against Division III leaders Westend at Leeds Road Playing Fields.

Heywoods started strongly and, from an in-swinging corner Dyson was denied an early goal after a superb point blank save from goalkeeper Gittens.

Despite their good start Heywoods didn’t create many chances and with the game evenly balanced it appeared that it might take a mistake to break the deadlock.

And with five minutes of the half remaining it was Westend who took the advantage.

With Heywood’s defence pushing up Craig Jackson beat the offside trap and slotted the ball past the advancing keeper into the bottom corner to give Westend a half time lead.

The second half continued in a similar vein but Westend had what could have been a match-winning goal disallowed for offside.

But within minutes of this Heywood equalised.

Westend failed to clear the ball after a good free-kick from Graham Davies and Oldfield pounced from six yards out to slot home the equaliser.

As Heywood piled on the pressure Oldfield was brought down in the box by full-back Darren Weaver but Gittens saved Simon Lee’s penalty, but Oldfield smashed in a late winner.

Elsewhere, Paddock eased their Division III relegation worries with a 2-1 victory against Grange Moor.

Nick Parker fired Paddock ahead when he turned smartly in the penalty box before firing low past the keeper.

But despite going behind early in the match Moor enjoyed some good possession without really testing the Paddock defence.

Paddock, however, created the better chances and striker Nick Johnson fired the home side into a two-goal lead just before the break when he latched onto a loose ball and drilled it past the keeper from 20 yards.

In the second half, despite facing an increasing wind, Paddock should have added a third but Dearnley’s shot was inches wide and Folan had a shot blocked on the line.

Grange Moor pulled a goal back after a rare lapse in the Paddock defence but the hosts held firm despite enduring a lot of pressure in the final 10 minutes.