Leeds United in blue and white stripes?
Fans of both Town and the Elland Road club who are looking forward to the 64th league derby between the neighbours might well scoff at the thought.
But for the first 14 years of their existence, Leeds’ colours mirrored those of Town, who had adopted the stripes still worn today in 1913.
The man behind the shared design, incidentally also worn by Halifax Town in the twenties, was J Hilton Crowther, the textile tycoon who came up with the controversial plan to merge Huddersfield Town with the newly-formed Leeds United after the demise of Leeds City in 1919.
While Town remained in Huddersfield, and went on to enjoy a halcyon period of FA Cup success in 1922 and three successive championships from 1924-26, the wealthy Crowther, who had been instrumental in Town’s formation in 1908, transferred his backing, and liking for blue and white stripes, to Leeds.
The financial security he provided at Elland Road was a key factor in Leeds’ election to the Football League in 1920.
Leeds wore blue and white stripes until 1934, when they switched to blue and gold, the livery of the local council and the colours which had been worn by Leeds City and are still sported by rugby league club Leeds Rhinos.
The introduction of the well-known all white strip came in the early sixties, with Don Revie, who was to lead Leeds to the most successful period in their history, explaining: “We shall be like Real Madrid, feared by everyone, challenging for everything.”