NEW massive signing Michael De Vere made sure the Giants celebrated a Happy Easter by helping his new club secure a second victory in four days in spectacular style.

With the Australian Test star's first touch in Super League, he helped put Marcus St Hilaire over for a fourth-minute try and the Giants on the road to a fourth top-flight triumph of the campaign.

But it also enabled Huddersfield to complete a valuable Easter double, with last night's win coming on the back of the 42-20 triumph at Wakefield on Good Friday.

Against the Wildcats, Chris Thorman's goalkicking had been a massive feature as the stand-off notched a haul of nine goals from nine attempts.

But that didn't prevent De Vere from assuming the duties against the City Reds, with his five out of five further enhancing what was a superb debut.

By De Vere's own admission, he's still some way off his best form.

But for a starting effort, it wasn't at all bad!

And the classy way in which he set up Huddersfield's opener underlined why he was playing Test match rugby for Australia a year ago.

Latching on to a Thorman pass, De Vere glided majestically away from his marker and then sent out the perfectly-weighted pass to send St Hilaire strolling over.

That immediately sent the Giants contingent of around 4,000 inside the Galpharm into raptures, and that continued as their new hero banged over the conversion with ease.

Twelve minutes later De Vere added a penalty after a high shot on Chris Nero and in the 19th minute he successfully landed his third and most difficult goal to date.

That followed the scoring of Paul Smith's first try of the season as the big second-rower collected wide on the right and used all his strength to bounce over the line.

The try may have been scored near to the touchline, but it still created no problems for the sure-footed 28-year-old.

At 14-0, the Giants were buzzing.

But after Paul March had been held up over the line in the 26th minute, Salford began to fight back.

On the half hour, great defence denied Gareth Haggerty before the visitors finally struck seven minutes later.

Luke Robinson's grubber kick on the sixth tackle failed to be cleared by the Giants defence and Kevin McGuinness took full advantage to touch down.

Chris Charles added the extras and the City Reds were right back in it.

Fortunately, Stanley Gene - who made a massive impact from the substitutes' bench - had other ideas.

Collecting the ball 40m from the Salford line and early in the tackle count, Gene spotted the visitors' defence out of position and kicked ahead superbly for St Hilaire to sprint through and get the vital touch in the corner.

It was now up to De Vere to show he could kick goals from the opposite touchline.

Not a problem!

As soon as the ball was struck, the fans watching from behind him in the John Smith's Stand were cheering to signal another two points. It was the perfect end to a memorable half.

Salford threatened a fight back at the start of the second half, with McGuinness and Stuart Littler held just short before Cliff Beverley rounded Hefin O'Hare with ease to score a second converted try for the City Reds in the 53rd minute.

But the in-form Gene eased any anxiety five minutes later as he collected the ball 30m out, spotted a gap, sprinted through and used all his strength to touch down by the posts.

Obviously, De Vere had no trouble of converting from under the posts and at 26-12, the Giants had done more than enough to guarantee the win.