VICTORIOUS Wigan coach Mike Gregory is not ruling out a meeting with Huddersfield Giants in next month's Powergen Challenge Cup final in Cardiff.

Gregory watched his side become the first team to reach this season's major showpiece competition with a hard-fought 30-18 victory over Warrington at Widnes yesterday.

That means he will have a keen eye on events at Warrington when red-hot favourites St Helens tackle Jon Sharp's Huddersfield this Sunday.

But Gregory, whose Wigan side were easily beaten 26-10 by the Giants at the McAlpine earlier this month, doesn't believe Saints can take anything for granted in six days' time.

"Obviously reaching the final was our sole aim, and I'm delighted that's been achieved," he said.

"For that reason, I'm not over concerned about who we meet in the final in Cardiff.

"Really, my main wish is that St Helens and Huddersfield bash the hell out of each other!

"But I'm certainly not one of those who believes a Wigan-Saints final is a foregone conclusion.

"We've had first-hand experience this season of how good a team the Giants have become under Jon Sharp.

"They've got bags of enthusiasm, bags of aggression and no shortage of skill in the ranks.

"Next Sunday's game promises to be a cracking cup-tie."

Yesterday's encounter may not have been a classic, but there were few complaints coming from Wigan.

Their success owed as much to their opponents' poor play as their own creativity, with at least four of the Warriors' tries coming from Warrington mistakes.

But there still needed to be a man capable of making the most of the Wolves' errors, and that man was winger Brett Dallas.

The Australian twice capitalised on loose balls from the opposition to score, and then completed his hat trick by bursting through a wafer-thin defence and sprinting 80 metres.

That scorching 69th-minute effort finally signalled the end of the Wolves' semi-final challenge.

With captain Andy Farrell adding the conversion, Wigan held a 26-12 advantage and the cherry and white celebrations could begin.

Stephen Wild followed up with the Warriors' fifth and final try, before Bradford old boy Mike Forshaw grabbed a consolation for his team.

But that couldn't take the gloss off a fine Wigan win.

The Warriors led from start to finish, with Dallas and Kris Radlinski scoring long-range converted tries to lead 12-2 at the break, Warrington's points coming from a Lee Briers penalty.

That lead was reduced to 12-6 within five minutes of the restart with a try from winger Ben Westwood, but a Farrell penalty and a second try for Dallas eased Wigan further ahead again, before Darren Burns struck for Warrington in the 64th minute to make it 20-12.

It was soon after, however, that Dallas, making his 100th Wigan appearance, struck the decisive blow.

Wigan: Radlinski; Dallas, Wild, Brown, Aspinwall; O'Loughlin, Orr; Smith (C), Newton, Pongia, Cassidy, Hock, Farrell. Subs: Lam, O'Connor, Sculthorpe, Smith (M).

Warrington: Cardiss; Westwood, Burns, Sibbitt, Gaskell; Briers, Wood; Hilton, Clarke, Lima, Guisett, Wainwright, Forshaw. Subs: Gleeson, Stevens, Noone, Hulse.

Referee: Steve Ganson (St Helens).