IN CELEBRATION of the Giants’ Heritage Project, a brief history of the club is being serialised on a monthly basis.

This month focuses on the late 19th century and the early years saw the club grow.

It became a useful recruiting tool for the Huddersfield Athletic Club.

In 1869 six matches were played and by 1870 three of the club’s players had been selected to represent Yorkshire – by 1872 there were so many players that a second team was formed.

The growth in popularity of the club and the need for better facilities led to the Huddersfield Athletic Club approaching St John’s Cricket Club with a proposal to merge the two clubs. St John’s Cricket Club had been formed in 1866 at Hillhouse and had moved to Fartown ground.

By 1875, when amalgamation talks began, over £800 had been spent on developing the new ground. At a meeting on November 27, 1875, at the Thornhill Arms Inn the two clubs agreed to merge to form the Huddersfield Cricket and Athletics Club. The motion was passed by 55 votes to 37.

Initially the football section stayed at Rifle Field, but alterations made in the summer of 1878 meant that rugby could begin at the start of the 1878/9 season with the visit of Manchester Rangers on November 2.

The new ground would become the club’s home for 114 years and would provide the club’s famous “Fartown” nickname.

In 1895 the club were founder members of the Northern Rugby Football Union – later the Rugby Football League.

Forthcoming events:

The Giant Olympics, a Race Night with a difference on July 13th. Entry will be free for members and £1 for guests. All our athletes require trainers at a cost of £2 each. Race Sponsors are also sought.

In conjunction with the Legends, we shall be running coaches to the semi-final on July 15th: adults £10, children £5; £20 [£10] including 2 course meal. The club will also be running coaches. Book online now.

Our guest speaker for August 7 will be Jeff Wittenburg.

For further information please visit our website,, or contact Dave at or phone 07887 878 425.