GIANTS chief Jon Sharp has backed teenage winger Michael Lawrence to carry on being a major Super League success.

The 17-year-old former Newsome Panthers junior will keep his place in an unchanged Huddersfield side as they look to secure a second successive Galpharm top-flight triumph with victory over Catalans Dragons on Friday (7.30).

Lawrence produced an outstanding full Super League debut in the stunning 28-26 triumph over St Helens on Easter Monday and backed it up with an equally confident performance in Sunday’s thrilling 24-24 draw at Hull KR.

And now Sharp is backing his new rising star to make it a hat trick of quality displays against the French in front of the Sky TV cameras.

“Michael keeps on surprising me with the way he’s handling all of this,” said Sharp.

“He seems totally unfazed competing at Super League level, and for him to make 150m in the game at Hull KR is ridiculous

“It was a fantastic achievement.

“He had no fear at all about taking the ball up, and the longer the game went on, the more his confidence grew.

“And there is nothing to suggest right now that he won’t be able to handle it just as well against Catalans on Friday night.

“When Leroy Cudjoe made his full debut last month, there were little indicators after his second game to suggest it was time for Chris Thorman to step back in at full-back.

“As yet, there have been no such signs with Michael. He just keeps on looking better and doesn’t look fatigued.

“On top of that, I’m also incredibly encouraged by the relationship he is forging with his centre partner, Paul Whatuira.

“There’s no doubt Michael’s successful step up has been helped by the support he has been receiving from Paul.

“He talks to Michael all the time, whether that’s during a game or in training, and you can’t start to put a value on that.

“I’m confident they will again work together well on Friday, and they can play a big part in helping us get another victory on the board.”

MICHAEL LAWRENCE the Giants teenage winger made a ‘ridiculous’ amount of metres during the Super League game at Hull KR