NEVER mind the one that got away, this was more about the five!

The inexperienced Giants missed a quintet of glorious first-half chances, and had a couple of them been made to count, new coach Jon Sharp's first match in charge might have ended very differently.

As far as Huddersfield were concerned, it was all White - Paul, that is - in the second period, as the livewire scrum half crossed for two out of four tries in a much-improved showing by the visitors.

But the damage had been done, with Halifax running in four tries before the break and two in the 15 minutes immediately after it to provide coach Tony Anderson with a lift as he prepares for life in National I.

Anderson will certainly have been pleased with his team's tackling before the break as the predominantly teenage Giants were frustrated time and time again.

Having been held just short in the ninth minute, Giants stand-off Tony Williams should really have scored in the 13th, when he broke from his own half and crossed the line, only to be shunted into touch by winger Oli Marns before he could ground the ball.

Winger Bolu Fagborun was forced out of bounds with the line beckoning in the 21st minute, and lively centre Ben Feehan received the same treatment 60 seconds later before second row Matthew Whittaker knocked on as he stretched to touch down in the 30th.

While the Giants were being held out, Fax were making their pressure tell, with hooker Todd O'Brien darting through from close range in the third and 18th minutes and substitute prop Scott Law running onto former Giants and YMCA rugby union scrum half Mark Moxon's neat pass at pace to cross in the 25th.

Australian loose-forward Pat Weisner added the extras on each occasion, but missed the most straightforward kick of the half in the 33rd minute, when Jaymes Chapman, another front-row replacement, scampered through unchallenged by the posts from Weisner's pass.

Giants dissent in the first minute of the second half, punished when referee Karl Kirkpatrick took a penalty 10 yards forward, proved costly when Fax's resultant push on the line ended with prop David Bates charging over for another converted score.

But Huddersfield were lifted when White, hooker Danny Samuels and substitute winger Richard Knight combined to send Feehan over out on the left on 51 minutes.

And even though Wayne Corcoran, one of 11 home substitites to be brought on, spotted a gap to restore the 28-point cushion four minutes later, Sharp's side maintained their improvement in the closing stages.

Centre Tom Senior got the all-important touch to Williams' grubber kick to the right-hand corner after 59 minutes, and White landed a fine touchline goal.

That was the No7's prompt to take centre stage, first with a couple of neat high kicks which had Fax scrambling, then with two tries, his 74th-minute effort from close range and his 77th from the back of a scrum.

White added both goals and had there been 13 rather than three minutes left, Sharp might have been celebrating victory in a match which provided a good chance for him and Giants fans in a 2,208 crowd to have a close-up look at some future first teamers.