HUDDERSFIELD Rugby Union Club’s run in the Yorkshire Cup came to an early end as an extremely powerful Leeds Carnegie side easily ran out 47-9 winners at Lockwood Park last night.

The Guinness Premiership club must have sent their entire Development squad in a bid to exact revenge for last year’s shock defeat to Huddersfield at Chandos Park, and it was obvious from the first two scrums that Field’s makeshift side were likely to be back-pedalling all night.

And so it proved, as the huge Leeds pack were on top in both the set pieces and the mauls, while their legion of backs had pace to burn when the ball was whipped out wide.

The visitors – helped by one of several blatant knock-ons – were over the tryline within three minutes of the start, and with fly-half Tom Whittaker adding the conversion and a penalty, together with a drop goal from Chris Hughes, Leeds were 13-0 up in as many minutes.

Huddersfield fielded only seven first team regulars, and although the Academy and Falcons players played with enthusiasm, it was not enough to stem the tide.

In fact it was 25 minutes before Huddersfield broke into Leeds’ half in possession, thanks to a great break from first teamer Chris Johnson, who had a fine game and (thankfully) came through unscathed.

After a second converted try (this time aided by a blatant block), Johnson landed long-range penalties either side of half-time before Leeds’ massive flanker Danny Paul put the game way out of reach with a third touchdown for the visitors.

Johnson added a third penalty when Leeds were pulled up for fighting in the maul, but with Carnegie using all 22 of their massed ranks of players, it was only a matter of time before they added to their tally.

The lively Whittaker was next to cross with a jinking run, before Huddersfield product Luther Burrell – who was denied an earlier try after receiving one of a host of forward passes made by Leeds – went over against his former club.

Indeed, the visitors claimed a couple of late tries which made the scoreline perhaps a little worse than it actually was, particularly as Field were denied a try for Lee Paxman almost on the final whistle which would have been reward for a solid performance.

There was no lack of effort from Field, with flanker Tom Sharrock and hooker Franny Entressengle, two of several Academy forwards battling hard throughout and one or two nice touches from full-back Adam Sutcliffe, but at times it was a little akin to men against boys.

Huddersfield squad: Sutcliffe; Paxman (B), Collins, Paxman (L), Parry; Johnson; Ainsworth; Carter, Entressengle, McPhail, Hinchliff, Nield, Sharrock, Ramsden, Sharpe, Takis, Shiel, Chirwa, Jones.

Leeds squad: Wackett; Armstrong, Grey, Hughes, Burrell, Whittaker, White, Steele, Frear, Swainston, Denton, Craig, Paul, Stitcher, Boyd, Clark, York, Lewis, Beak, DePledge, Bottomley, Denton.

Referee: Hatim Tall (East Yorkshire).