The turkey may be the centrepiece of the Christmas Day feast, but everyone always looks forward to the roasties.
Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside and roasted to perfection in goose fat or dripping, roast potatoes can cause squabbles over who gets the last one.
Here's three recipes for you to try:
Asda crispy roast potatoes (Serves 6)
These potatoes are ready in one hour.
1.3kg Asda Extra Special Rudolph potatoes (or King Edward or Maris Piper potatoes)
5 tbsp goose fat
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6.
2. Peel and cut the potatoes into large, even-sized chunks. Cook in a large pan of boiling water for 6 minutes. Drain and return to the pan.
3. Put over a low heat to drive off excess water. Shake the pan to rough up the outsides – this will make the potatoes extra crispy when they’re roasting.
4. Put a large roasting tin in the oven with the goose fat to heat. Add the potatoes to the heated fat, turning them to coat well. Roast for 40 minutes.
5. Drain on kitchen paper and leave to cool. Transfer to a container and freeze for up to a month.
6. On the day, put the potatoes in a lightly greased roasting tin and cook in the oven at 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6 for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with herbs just before serving, if liked.
Do these crispy roast potatoes look perfect to you? Give them a try and buy the ingredients at recipes.asda.com
Tesco best ever roast potatoes
These roasties take 10 minutes to prepare and 45-50 minutes to cook.
1.5kg (3lb) Venezia potatoes, halved, or quartered, if large
2 tbsp beef dripping
3 garlic cloves
3 thyme sprigs
3 rosemary sprigs
1. Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200ºC, fan 180ºC. Put the potatoes in a pan of salted water, bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Put the beef dripping in a roasting tin and heat in the oven with the garlic, rosemary and thyme until melted.
3. Drain the potatoes in a colander, and then shake vigorously to rough up the edges.
4. Carefully tip the potatoes into the hot roasting tin and toss in the dripping. Roast for 30-40 minutes, turning after 15 minutes, until golden. Serve with Christmas dinner.
Fancy making these herby roast potatoes? You can shop the ingredients at realfood.tesco.com
Aldi delicious roast potatoes (Serves 4)
These take 10 minutes to prepare and 50 minutes to cook.
3kg floury potatoes
1 stem fresh rosemary and thyme
4-5 garlic cloves
1 tsp paprika
Sea salt and black pepper
50g plain flour
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut them in half lengthways. This will maximise their crispiness.
3. Place them into a large pan of boiling water, bring back to the boil for 5 minutes. Drain and place into a large bowl.
4. Add the butter, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, garlic (leave them whole in their skins), flour and paprika.
5. Cover with a lid and shake to totally combine. These can now be roasted or you can prepare them to this stage on Christmas Eve and keep them in the fridge.
6. Heat a roasting tray or pan and add the potatoes ensuring they are evenly coated and not piled in the pan or you won’t achieve an all round crisp finish.
7. Roast for 45 minutes to an hour, turning once before serving.