As the weather gets colder everyone's mind turns to wholesome comfort food to keep you warm.
Whether you're looking for something healthy or indulgent these recipes from TV chef James Martin are the perfect to cook up some good grub with minimal effort required.
From filling pies, succulent roasted meats and hearty veg these dishes are ideal for lazy weekend cooking that packs a punch but requires minimal effort.
Fill your boots with these scrumptious meals all the family will love.
Slow-cooked pork loin with spiced apples
Ready in 115 minutes
1kg Asda Extra Special pork loin
4 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Put the apples into a large roasting tin. Add in the spices, sugar, maple syrup and water. Coat the apples in the mixture.
- Place the pork in the middle of the apples, season with a little sea salt and bake for 1 hour.
- Slice the meat, crush the apples and mix in with all the juices. Serve together with mashed potato and green beans.
Chicken and mushroom pie
Ready in 45 minutes
25ml rapeseed oil
1 x 560g Asda Butcher’s Selection chicken breast fillets, cut into 4
1 onion peeled and diced
400g Grower’s Selection white mushrooms, halved
25g plain flour
500ml full fat milk
1 small bunch parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
375g Asda ready rolled puff pastry
1 egg yolk, plus 1 egg, whisked for the egg wash
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and brown off the mushrooms, onions and chicken.
- In a separate pan, add the butter and flour and cook out for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the milk, whisking continuously - when bubbling add the chicken, onions and mushroom, coating thoroughly.
- Pour into a large pie dish. Season, sprinkle over the parsley and cool. Brush the edges with egg wash and top with the pastry, crimping around the edges. Egg wash all over and bake at 200°C for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Pan-fried turkey with red wine vinegar
Ready in 40 minutes
110ml red wine vinegar
110g caster sugar
340g turkey breast fillets, cut into 2cm slices
50g unsalted butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 tbsp capers
Juice of ½ lemon
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas 7.
- Place the red wine vinegar, sugar and 110ml water into a saucepan and simmer gently for 20 minutes, or until reduced to a syrup.
- Heat 25g of the butter in a frying pan over a medium to high heat. When it is foaming, add the turkey and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer the meat to a baking tray and put in the oven for 5 minutes.
- To the same pan, add the remaining butter. Once it turns brown, add the capers and finish with the lemon juice, shallot and parsley. Stir in the syrup. Place the turkey on a serving dish, pour the sauce over the top and serve.