Historic St Luke’s hospital has been almost completely flattened as developers continue discussions over the future of the large NHS site.
Demolition teams have been slowly taking down the Crosland Moor psychiatric unit as residents await the results of a lengthy consultation with Kirklees Council and the site’s owners.
The former hospital closed to patients in 2011 after mental health services were re-located around West Yorkshire.
No formal planning application has been submitted but a proposal for 200 homes and a supermarket has been mooted.
Other ideas include, terraced retail units with community space or offices above, a new family restaurant or pub, and a petrol station.
The premises, owned by Pennine Property Partnership, a joint venture between developer Henry Boot and the Calderdale and Huddersfield Foundation NHS Trust, have been demolished in anticipation of a scheme being given approval.
The large empty hospital off Blackmoorfoot Road also sparked complaints from residents after it was subjected to repeated vandalism and raids by metal thieves.
A number of police incidents and fires were caused by thieves using blow torches to strip cabling, with the police helicopter called out on several occasions.
Demolition began towards the end of 2013 and the largely Victorian site has slowly been reduced to rubble over the past ten months.
The team behind the plan say up to 325 full and part-time jobs could be created on the site.
It is thought a formal planning application will be submitted before the end of the year.
St Luke’s House, the main Victorian building on the site, was originally founded as Crosland Moor workhouse, in 1872.
It was built at a time of modernisation amid overcrowding at Birkby and Kirkheaton workhouses.
In 1869 the Huddersfield Examiner reported the new site, which also included a hospital and school, was nearing completion and had been built at a cost of £24,000.
The hospital buildings were designed to take advantage of the ‘healing powers of the sun’s beams’ by being aligned to the east.
A building to house ‘travelling vagrants’ was erected on the site in 1906.
Larger hospital premises were built between 1916 and 1932 and the site switched from being an ‘institution’ to a hospital in 1928, operating under the new name St Luke’s.
The final major alterations came in the 1960s and early 70s when the much of the site was demolished ahead of a revamp to include out-patient facilities, a 100-bed psychiatric ward, radiography units and laboratories.
Attempts to list St Luke’s House in 1995 and 2009 both failed.
English Heritage said the building was “old fashioned” for its time and not of significant architectural or historical significance to justify listing.