Video Loading

A suicide bomber terror attack at Manchester Arena has killed 22 people - including some children - and injured 59 others.

The attack happened in the foyer of the Arena just after 10:30pm on Monday when it is suspected a man carrying an improvised explosive device detonated the bomb.

The suspect has been named as Salman Abedi, a 22-year-old British born man from Manchester.

Greater Manchester Police chief constable Ian Hopkins said: “I can confirm that the man suspected of carrying out last night’s atrocity has been named as 22-year-old Salman Abedi. However, he has not yet been formally identified and I wouldn’t wish, therefore, to comment further.

“The priority remains to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network.”


He said earlier: "This has been the most horrific incident we have had to face in Greater Manchester and one that we all hoped we would never see.


"Families and many young people were out to enjoy a concert at the Manchester Arena and have lost their lives."

Profile of bombing suspect Salman Abedi

According to The Independent

Name: Salman Ramadan Abedi

Age: 22

Born: Manchester, 1994

Residence: Fallowfield, Manchester

Parents born in Libya

Manchester Chief Constable's statement in full

“Can I start by once again passing on our heartfelt sympathies to all the innocent people caught up in last night’s despicable act.
“We now have a team of specially-trained Family Liaison Officers who are supporting families.
“There has been much speculation and names of those who may have been killed in the media and social media. We accept that this is inevitable however we ask that people allow the police and coroner to release the names once the families are ready and appropriately supported.
“As you would expect the police response to this across Greater Manchester has been significant as we support people to go about their daily business.
“Part of this response has seen us arrest a 23-year-old man in connection with the attack and we have also carried out two warrants, one in Whalley Range and one in Fallowfield that included a controlled explosion to enable safe entry.
“We understand that feelings are very raw right now and people are bound to be looking for answers. However, now, more than ever, it is vital that our diverse communities in Greater Manchester stand together and do not tolerate hate.
“We have been visited by the Prime Minster and Home Secretary and we have taken them through the emergency response so far and what we plan to do in future days.
“I can confirm that the man suspected of carrying out last night’s atrocity has been named as 22-year-old Salman Abedi. However, he has not yet been formally identified and I wouldn’t wish, therefore, to comment further.
“The priority remains to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network.”

Manchester Arena suicide bomber named as Salman Abedi

The man suspected of carrying out a suicide bombing with claimed 22 lives following a concert at Manchester Arena has been named as Salman Abedi by Greater Manchester Police.

Greater Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said: “I can confirm that the man suspected of carrying out last night’s atrocity has been named as 22-year-old Salman Abedi. However, he has not yet been formally identified and I wouldn’t wish, therefore, to comment further.

“The priority remains to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network.”

Take That cancel Manchester Arena dates this week

The Manchester band comprising Gary Barlow, Mark Owen and Howard Donald say they have postponed this week’s shows ‘out of respect’ for the 22 people killed at the venue last night in a terrorist attack.

West Yorkshire police chief says armed patrols will be stepped up

Assistant Chief Constable Angela Williams, of West Yorkshire Police, said: “I can’t begin to imagine the pain people who have lost a loved one are going through right now and my thoughts are with those impacted by these terrible events

“The concert was supposed to be a fun and entertaining event but one that ended in a devastating way.

“What is important is that now we rally round and support each other to ensure those who intend to cause harm can never win.

“I am appealing directly to members of the community to remember and cherish the values that bring us together, especially in terms of adversity.

“Manchester is only a short drive away - such an attack impacts on all of us.

“As a Police Force we are already providing practical help and assistance to our colleagues in Greater Manchester Police and we stand together with them at this most difficult of times.

West Yorkshire Assistant Chief Constable Angela Williams
West Yorkshire Assistant Chief Constable Angela Williams (Image: TM)

“Our number one priority is to keep the public safe and we have increased police patrols across West Yorkshire.

“This includes increased numbers of armed officers. They are at key locations and events to provide a highly visible presence.

“The aim of our increased patrols is to provide a reassuring presence to the communities we serve. I know this is concerning time but I want people to go about their daily business in a normal way, being alert but not alarmed.

“Understandably we have had enquiries about large-scale gatherings and events due to take place in West Yorkshire. We are currently reviewing the planned security for all such forthcoming events as part of our ongoing work.

“We are doing everything we can to protect the communities of West Yorkshire and this includes working with our partners.

“If you have concerns or see anything suspicious I would urge you to report it immediately to the Confidential Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789321. In an emergency always dial 999.”

Appeal to raise £300k for Manchester Arena bombing cracks target within hours

The appeal launched by our sister paper the Manchester Evening News on Just Giving has now raised £318,000 to support families of those killed and injured in the Manchester Arena terrorist attack.

Cash raised by MEN's appeal for victims of Manchester Arena bombing
Cash raised by MEN's appeal for victims of Manchester Arena bombing

FA to step up Wembley security following Manchester attack

The Football Association has increased security at Wembley for the play-off final in response to the tragic events in Manchester last night.

And the English Football League have reassured fans of the security measures taken at Wembley ahead of the biggest match in Huddersfield Town’s recent history.

The statements come in wake of the terrorist attack in Manchester, which killed 22 people and injured 59 more.

An aerial view of Wembley Stadium, London
An aerial view of Wembley Stadium, London

Extra security for The Courteeners gig in Halifax

Gigs are going ahead, but people are being advised to get there early for extra security checks.

Dashcam appeal

Greater Manchester Police have issued an appeal for dash-cam footage from anyone who was in Manchester city centre between 8pm and 11pm on Monday.

The force said the footage should be uploaded to https://ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk/

Extra security

If you are visiting any major public gathering expect extra security checks.

Wembley Stadium officials said there will be “an enhanced security operation for all upcoming events” including Huddersfield Town’s play-off final against Reading on Monday.

A Football Association spokesman said: “Fan safety is of paramount importance and we have robust security measures in place at Wembley Stadium.

“All supporters are encouraged to arrive for events at Wembley Stadium as early as possible for security checks and to avoid any delays in entering the stadium.”

Officials for the Wimbledon tennis Grand Slam, which is due to start in south-west London on July 3, have been working with the police to bolster security measures.

The Chelsea Flower Show, which expects to see 165,000 visitors pass through its gates by time the event closes on Saturday, said it is maintaining a “strong security presence”.

Flags lowered

The flags have been lowered on Kirklees town halls in respect of those who lost their lives in Manchester.

Clr David Sheard told us: “As a mark of respect, we have today lowered our flags to half mast at each of our town halls as we continue to think of innocent victims who had their lives cut short by this attack.”

Police confirm controlled explosion

Greater Manchester Police said a controlled explosion has taken place at an address in Fallowfield as part of the investigation into the Manchester bomb attack.

RIP Saffie, aged 8

Eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos from Leyland was killed in the Manchester bomb attack, Lancashire County Council has said.

Saffie Rose Roussos, 8,
Saffie Rose Roussos, 8,

We also know that 12 children under the age of 16 were among the 59 casualties taken to hospital after the terror attack at Manchester Arena, David Ratcliffe, medical director of North West Ambulance Service has said.

Concerts postponed

Take That have decided to postpone their Liverpool concert tonight after the tragic terror attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

They were due to play Liverpool & the Manchester Arena on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. There is no news about those concerts yet.

IS say they were behind terror attack

The Islamic State terror group has claimed responsibility for the Manchester bomb attack.

Plea for video or images

If you were at the gig last night or in Manchester Greater Manchester Police is appealing for any images or footage that you believe can assist them.

They can be uploaded at ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk or ukpoliceimageappeal.com.

Sympathy from the Queen

The Queen has offered her “deepest sympathy” to all those affected by the “dreadful” terrorist attack in Manchester, saying that the incident has “shocked” the nation.

The head of state has spoken for the country in expressing her support for the families and friends of the 22 people, including children, killed in the blast and the 59 injured.

The victims were targeted by a suicide bomber who detonated an improvised explosive device as young fans left a pop concert by US singer Ariana Grande at Manchester Arena.

The Queen said in her message of support: “The whole nation has been shocked by the death and injury in Manchester last night of so many people, adults and children, who had just been enjoying a concert.

“I know I speak for everyone in expressing my deepest sympathy to all who have been affected by this dreadful event and especially to the families and friends of those who have died or were injured.

“I want to thank all the members of the emergency services, who have responded with such professionalism and care. And I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded, with humanity and compassion, to this act of barbarity.”

Armed police deployed as reassurance

There are armed police at Huddersfield Railway Station today.

West Yorkshire Police Chief Constable Dee Collins said: “The public’s safety remains our top priority and we have already increased patrols of highly visible officers across West Yorkshire.

“This includes an increase in armed officers at key locations including transport hubs. “

Kirklees Muslim group talks of its sadness

The Muslim community of Kirklees has spoken of its sadness at the suicide bombing that left 22 people killed in Manchester.

In a statement the Kirklees Imams & Mosques Advisory Board said: “The Muslim community of Kirklees learn with great sadness of the terrorist attack that took place last night, killing 22 and injuring scores of innocent people.

“KIMAB on behalf of the local mosques in Kirklees would like to express their deepest sympathy and condolences to the friends and relatives of the victims.

“At present, we do not know who the perpetrator/s are but we stand united against terrorism and these incidents should not divide our communities.

“We pray tribute to the authorities and the courageous emergency services who rushed towards the scenes of devastation and also the Manchester community who provided assistance in the aftermath of the attack.

“ As we write this article, we are receiving from the wider Muslim community, numerous messages of words of sympathy for the bereaved and expressing their shock and horror of this terrorist attack.”

Arrest made

Greater Manchester Police have made an arrest in connection with last night’s terrorist attack.

They said: “In regards to the ongoing investigation into last night’s horrific attack at the Manchester arena, we can confirm we have arrested a 23-year-old man in South Manchester.”

The suicide bomber is dead. He killed 22 people and injured 59 more.

There have been reports of a man arrested in the Arndale Shopping Centre, but that is not currently believed to connected to last night’s attacks.

Arrest made

Police confirm a 23-year-old man has been arrested in south Manchester as part of the investigation into the attack

Shopping centre cleared

There are reports from journalists in Manchester that the Arndale shopping centre is being cleared.

Shoppers and workers can be seen running away.

Countless acts of kindness

PM: “The attempt to divide us brought countless acts of kindness and in the days ahead those are the things we should remember.

“There will be difficult days ahead, we offer our thoughts and prayers to the families of those affected.

“And we all, every single one of us, stand with the people of Manchester at this terrible time.

“Today lets us remember those who died and celebrate those who helped safe in the knowledge that the terrorists will never win.”

Bomber identity is known

The police and security services believe they know the identity of the suicide bomber but cannot reveal his name yet.

PM is talking

Prime Minister Theresa May says it is “now beyond doubt that the people of Manchester and of this country have fallen victim to a callous terrorist attack, an attack that targeted some of the youngest people in our society with cold calculation.”

She says a single terrorist detonated his improvised explosive device (IED) near the exit of Manchester Arena, “deliberately choosing the time and place to cause maximum damage”.

She said 22 people have died in addition to the attacker and 59 people have been injured, many of them have serious injuries.

Prime Minister Theresa May addresses the media in Downing Street, London, after a suicide bomber killed 22 people, including children, as an explosion tore through fans leaving a pop concert in Manchester. Lauren Hurley/PA Wire
Prime Minister Theresa May addresses the media in Downing Street, London, after a suicide bomber killed 22 people, including children, as an explosion tore through fans leaving a pop concert in Manchester. Lauren Hurley/PA Wire

This message sums up how we all feel

This video by James Corden is spot on.

The comedian spoke on his American TV show and said: “Many of you won’t have ever been to Manchester, but you will definitely have heard of it.

“It’s famous all over the world for so many wonderful things.

“Great football teams – Man City, Man United. It’s famous for incredible music – Oasis and Joy Division.

“It was the birth place of the leader of the suffragettes.

“It’s the home of the inventor of the first computer, it’s a place full of comedy and curries and characters.

“But when I think of Manchester, the place that I know, I think of the people there.

“And I’m telling you, a more tight-knit group of people you will be hard pressed to find... the spirit of the people of Manchester will grow even stronger this evening.”

Vigil in Manchester

Many Huddersfield people live or work in Manchester and if you’re there today you can pay your respects to those killed, injured or affected by the suicide bomber at a vigil at 6pm on Tuesday, in Albert Square, Manchester.

Fundraising appeal launched to support families of those killed

Our sister paper the Manchester Evening News has launched a Just Giving page to help support families of those killed and injured in the Manchester Arena attack.

Click here to donate

They say: “Manchester Evening News readers have been asking how they can help, so we have started this fund to help support the families in the aftermath of the attack.”

PM heading to Manchester

The Prime Minister Theresa May is expected to travel to Manchester after this morning’s Cobra meeting.

First victim named

The first victim of the suicide bomber in Manchester has been named as 18-year-old Georgina Bethany Callander.

The Mirror has reported that Georgina was one of at least 22 people killed in the blast last night.